Pages

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

What Am I Supposed To Do About This?

There is this woman who whenever I see constantly stares at me. Always so intently that I'm surprised she hasn't bumped into a wall or tripped over something while she's doing it. I have seen this woman once or twice at a family halaqa four years ago, and more recently a few dozen times at garage sales rushing around frantically looking for whatever it is she's looking for. In the beginning I'd smile at her while she's staring, but I  always got a blank emotionless look in response, so I've stopped smiling at her.
When my oldest started kindergarten, she saw me picking up my daughter and her stares just got more intense. Her older, maybe ten year old daughter has since picked up the habit of rudely gawking at me too.
As it turns out this woman has her other daughter in the same preschool as my youngest, they just attend on different schedules. We had a field trip today with all the classes attending together. That woman was there staring away, but not as intensely as before. This woman walking past me at one point, shoved me so hard on the left side of my arm, being that I'm pregnant, I shoved her right back. She said nothing, I said nothing. On top of this when my daughter was talking to her daughter she turned her child away from mine and said something in Tamil, which I can only guess what it was.
I don't know this woman at all aside from "seeing" her around, I've never talked to her and vice versa. I do know that this woman has plenty of friends though, and is part of a certain brainwashing new converts crowd. I know when someone hates me, but how do I stop this? I was so close to approaching her ten year old daughter while she was staring at me today, but I didn't, it wouldn't have been appropriate. How do you deal with such odd behaviour from someone like this?

6 comments:

  1. I would probably stare right back, or make an ugly face at her. The next time (if she does it again)she shoves you, loudly exclaim that you are going to have to contact the authorities regarding this assault, because that is exactly what it is.

    Maybe she is not quite right in the head? Why would she just keep staring at you like that? Seems like the behavior of someone a bit off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon - cheeky :P

    Aishah - I have stared back thinking she'll turn away...nope. With this kind of behaviour something must not be right with this woman. Part of me wants to pull her aside and ask her why she's always gawking at me. But, like you said her behaviour is off and I'm not sure if she's capable of explaining why or having an adult conversation... and of course she could just ignore me and walk away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe just ignore her as much as possible. Also, maybe approaching her and trying to talk to her may help. She might just find you very pretty and not realize she is bothering you by her stares though it does seem she is aware of it on some level. Perhaps keep smiling and trying to be kind...you may gain a friend eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to approach her, I'm worried I'll be ignored and rejected, leaving me even more upset. I feel pretty sure she knows what she's doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. read quran, ayatul kursi.... or even dua. I always find people staring scary and a sign of bad luck. It's just plain creepy.

    ReplyDelete